A beautiful day in Kansas

A beautiful day in Kansas
The herd grazing on a sunny day.

Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Mom for Teddy

I won’t deny it’s been a few weeks since I have written anything.  The paper has been full and so my column was not needed to take up space.
Today Weston is playing “Farm” and getting popcorn all over my floor.  He seems to be having a good time, we can sweep it up later.  He has a grain truck, auger and combine out.  Perhaps I should remind him to go get the grain cart? His preschool teacher says that he is progressing.  Most days he even seems to enjoy school. Last week we did some water color painting.  At the end he was just using black.  So then I made him use any other color but black.
Last week he told me that Teddy his bear needed a Mom.  I told him that he was kind of like Teddy’s mom.  Weston then said, “Do I look like a bear?” Next I told him “Well you are like Teddy’s dad.”  Next Weston replied, “I lose him sometimes you know.”  So far in his 5 year old mind he has a few ideas about what it takes to be a parent.
On Wednesday Allie has basketball practice.  She enjoys walking across the street after school and going to practice.  The coach was one of my older sister’s friends in high school.  He has a daughter on the team also.  I could tell she was nervous her first game, but she really loved it too.
Addie has found plenty of things to do even though her basketball is over for the year.  She is participating in scholar’s bowl and mainly just enjoys spending time with her buddies.  We took Addie and two of her friends up to horse panorama this weekend at Rock Springs.  Even though we had no idea what we were doing, a good time was had by all.
Luke of course is busy calving out heifers.  The cow business can be tough; it’s hard to lose a baby calf no matter how long you have been in the cattle business.  It also makes a person happy to see a calf born with no problems.
From time to time we need to make a few changes at the Rural Messenger.  We tried to do a current event series for a time but after trying for sometime that idea just isn’t successful the way we had hoped.  I also have shuffled a few of the pages around.  However I don’t think they will be hard to find.   As always thank you for reading our paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment