A beautiful day in Kansas

A beautiful day in Kansas
The herd grazing on a sunny day.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Franching: VETERAN’S DAY

You know many people spend a lot of time bashing the public schools.  Some schools even allow children to opt out of the Pledge of Allegiance.   That is why I am thankful my kids have gotten the chance to learn about Veteran’s Day.  In the elementary school the students have an assembly that honors any local veteran who would like to attend.  At the middle school the 8th graders are assigned a large project for Veteran’s Day.  Addie has worked on her project for about 6 weeks. 
She didn’t have too look to far to find someone to interview.  Her great-grandfather is a Navy veteran.  Addie and I went over to his place so she could interview him.  She was asking him some big questions, such as “What where some of the lessons you learned.”  Keep in mind this was many years ago.  So her 92 year old grandfather replied, “I learned to follow orders, and do what I was told.” 
On Friday the middle school had a come and go reception at the school. All of the projects were on display.
We played Monopoly this weekend.  Weston really likes playing the game for about the first 30 minutes, then the game gets longer.  Then I am reminded my husband is a risk taker and a control freak.  I am left wondering, has Monopoly actually brought families together, or just caused fights.
Recently I noticed that the TV remote was hidden in the crown molding above a doorway in our house.  Luke has been putting it there so the kids won’t lose it.
I have decided to call my column Franching.  What is franching you ask, it is a word that represents people who both farm and ranch. I know lots of farmers who do not want to mess with cattle, but most cattlemen dabble a little bit in farming.  Did I mention that my grandpa came home from the Navy and spent the next 50 plus years franching. On of his favorite things he did was to build terraces.
As Christmas approaches keep in mind that BILLIONS of dollars are spent on advertising.  Keep in mind that all of the images also can plant a seed of discontentment in our hearts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment